Saturday, October 30, 2010

Beef Curry Pasties

I go through stages where we will eat a lot of meat, usually chicken and beef and then I will cook vegetarian meals for a couple of weeks. The other day I pulled out a kilo of rump steak but didn't feel like a steak meal so I ground it into mince and divided it into two portions, the lasagne last night, which was a huge success was made using half the steak and the other half I cooked on Friday night, again I started cooking without having any idea what I going to make, my original intention was pasta with a savoury mince, topped with grated cheese but decided I wasn't keen on pasta so in the end I cooked curry puffs. Compliments all round, and when feeding 8 people with 8 different taste buds to have them all enjoy their meal without complaint is always a bonus.

Preheat oven to 180deg
1 tablespoon olive oil, this is the only oil I use for cooking, there maybe a better oil out there for weight loss, but this fits within my budget and it's gotta be better than gm canola
1 large onion roughly sliced
2 gloves of organic russian garlic,
1 punnet of grape tomatoes, grape tomatoes were on special in Coles this week so I bought a few punnets purely for cooking. I usually use tinned tomatoes but they have added sugar so they are off the list now and cutting up tomatoes is messy and I don't like it so the grape tomatoes are a good substitute, I throw them in whole and once slightly cooked I just crush them.
500g mince
2 finely chopped carrots
2 finely chopped zucchinis
and I cheated and used about 5oog frozen mixed veggies

Cook over a low flame until meat is cooked and veggies are soft, not soggy, I then decided to make curry pasties so mixed a heaped tablespoon of curry powder in a cup of water and stirred through, once the water had absorbed it was ready
In the mean time I thawed 4 short crust pastry sheets, cut into quarters.
I put a heaped spoonful of meat mix into each quarter and folded them into triangles pressing around the edges to seal.
I line my baking trays with baking paper, it's less mess than greasing trays, arrange the pasties on the trays and give a quick spray with oil and in the oven until ready, I left them until they had slightly browned and were crunchy around the edges.

Served up with a salad they were quite popular and will be making them again.

I don't profess to be a talented cook, I like cooking and sometimes I succeed in what I am making, other times are a dismal failure. I have a large family to feed and I need to be able to provide them healthy meals while still coming in under budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment